Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caramel Apples


Nothing says fair time like a caramel apple rolled in salty peanuts! I love going to the fair just for the caramel apples and livestock shows. An aggie at heart I am. These are really simple to make in no fancy smancy way but just a few hints that will help you out in the making. This is What's Cookin on Beaty's Creek today.

Needed:

7 apples of your choice-I used organic yellow delicious and organic granny smith apples
2 bags of wrapped caramels-I love to unwrap them.
3 T water
3 cups of salted peanuts-chopped
7 sticks for apples


Boil water in a large pan and dip your apples for about 5 seconds. This removes any wax they will have on them. I now place them in the fridge overnight because cold apples hold caramel much better. I heat the caramel and 1 cup of the peanuts over medium heat in a non-stick pan. This is one of the only times that I will use a non-stick pan. When it is all melted, remove caramel from heat. Place sticks into your apples and begin dipping them in the caramel and peanut mixture. I like my caramel to be on the cool but not cold side, seems like it sticks better. Once you have done this, dip them in more peanuts (chopped or ground into a finer state) and press them in well. If you can wait to eat them, place back in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating. It tastes like Halloween already!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh-this sounds so good! I never thought about removing the wax! Thanks for the tips! My kids keep asking me to make my caramel dip--it goes further with my crew than whole apples-lol! But, I still might try these-even if I have to hide them all for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I wanted my kids and I to make them this year for Halloween, so now I have the perfect recipe!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete