Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Kanuchi


Kanuchi is a hickory nut soup with hominy that is eaten hot or cold and with sugar or honey, I like mine cold with sugar. My husband's Grandmother would make this every year and I have continued this tradition for our children. I believe most Cherokees make Kanuchi during the winter holiday season because the fall crop of hickory nuts are now seasoned and ready for use. Finding people who make the Kanuchi nut balls are getting harder and harder to find. We will most likely be making our own next year. Stay tuned. This is What's Cookin on Beaty's Creek today.


Needed:


Kanuchi Ball
1 pound bag of dried hominy
1 quart of water


Take your nut ball and simmer it in a soup pan with about 2 cups of water. Now you will drain your nut mixture through a sieve several times. The Kanuchi ball has some of the nut shell along with the hickory nuts and you don't want shells in your finished product. Meanwhile take a quart of water and pour over your hominy in a large soup pot. You will cook this for 1 hour. Watch it because you will have to add about 1 more quart of water to the hominy as it cooks. Once hominy is cooked, pour your sieved nut mixture in and stir. Continue to cook for about 1 more hour.

2 comments:

  1. Stacey,
    Pecans are a variety of hickory, so I'm wondering if you could make this with pecan meal? Pecan meal is a little grainy... is the kanuchi ball smooth? I'm actually trying this right now but I don't know how it's supposed to turn out! Help?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    When making a kanuchi ball you beat shell and all together until it makes a paste and then you form a ball. Email me and I will try to help you any way I can. I have never heard of pecan balls.

    ReplyDelete